(I originally posted these tips on Twitter. @sweetcareers)
- While a student identify skills that you lack or need improved. Seek opportunities to develop those skills. Be creative; get involved. Involvement can be short or long term.
- Student organizations, (clubs, Greek life) are great places to consider
- Get communications skills through toastmasters, phone-a-thons, admissions tour guide, as tutor, RA, peer advising, athletics
- Get organizational skills through event planning, lab assistant, library/book store clerk, office (campus) assistant
- Get team work skills through athletics, intramurals, Habitat builds, theatre/music productions, campus councils, trip coordination
(I am considering running a series of posts highlighting different transferable skills and the common on-campus and off-campus jobs or volunteer opportunities where each skill might be developed. Would you be interested in this type of post? Please let me know – leave a comment.)