“Listen, Do you want to know a secret?, Do you promise not to tell?” – John Lennon and Paul McCartney
Shhhhh! Job search secrets. Well, not really secrets if you’ve been spending any length of time looking for jobs leveraging the Internet. Of course, anything that is a secret (like a lead on a job that few people know about) gives you an advantage. Not sure that the sites on today’s post qualify, but they are all worth taking a look at and, who knows, maybe you will uncover a secret. Today’s post will lead with Secrets of the Job Hunt followed by a number of career related sites that focus on some of the best kept secrets of job hunting. These sites run the full range from advice to jobs. Happy Hunting!
- Secrets of the Job Hunt – In full disclosure, I am a regular contributor to Secrets of the Job Hunt, so my view is somewhat skewed (in the right way of course). In their own words, Secrets provides “Career Advice Podcasts & Job Seeker Network“. The site is filled with tons of articles and posts by career professionals (and me too). The top of the page has tabs for Career Coaches, podcasts, blogs and more (also runs down the center of the page). You should definitely visit the site and also try out their podcasts.
- 4 secrets of the successful job search – This article is from CNNMoney.com and provides four secrets: Where to look for jobs, Ensure a company wants to talk to you, Demonstrate that you want the job and Stick to the tried-and-true. Now I’m not going to give away the secrets, but it is worth your time to take a look. There are other related links on the right hand side of the page.
- Top 10 Creative Job Search Secrets – Another 10 secrets here from Careerealism.com. There are some really great tips (secrets) here. And this is not a repeat of things you’ve seen before (unless you’ve already read this article). Some are preventative (like the Google Alerts idea). Now the link at the start of this paragraph are the first 5 of the ten. Please visit thehrtechnologist.com at this link ==>> 10 Secret Tips for Job Seekers for the remaining 5.
- 25 Resume, Interview, Job Search Secrets – This article is a little broader, providing secrets for resumes, interviews and job search. Simply done, the list is in no particular order, but does provide lots of tips and tricks. Some of what is listed are just facts (like the cost of benefits). The first item on the list is important (and one that I always recommend), and that is “never pay an agency fee”. Why? Because companies pay the fees and any agency that asks for fee is not doing their job.
- The three secrets of successful job-hunting – This article was posted on Jobdig.com and provides some great tips. Don’t be fooled by the “three secrets” in the title. Although there are just a few secrets, the article is provides background and explanations. One example is changing strategy (why and when). I won’t give it away here, so take a look at this post.
Good luck in your search.