Whether you’re just about to start your first professional job or you’ve been working for a few years, the need to keep your skills fresh and relevant is always present. US workers will hold an average of 11 jobs over the course of their lifetime; your first professional job is not likely going to be your last. Here are 5 tips for staying employable, even when you’re already employed:
1. Continue networking – Even though you have a job and are not actively searching for employment, continue to network and build your base of professional connections.
- Consider joining professional associations either through your employer’s memberships or on your own.
- Leverage the power of social media to stay connected with like-minded professionals all over the world.
- Use a variety of strategies to network, even when your work schedule is full.
2. Read broadly in your field – Stay current by reading articles from your professional associations’ publications and various trade journals.
- Follow, and engage, your industry’s thought leaders on Twitter and LinkedIn, and read up on the trends and movements impacting your field.
- Subscribe to relevant blogs and other curators of industry news.