A while ago, we participated in #ResuChat, a bi-weekly chat hosted by @JackalopeJobs every other Tuesday on Twitter (UPDATE – this chat is no longer running). The Feb. 26 chat discussed different types of interviews; check out the wrap up here.
A question raised during that chat was how to prepare for Skype or phone interviews. We wanted to share a few of those tips, plus a few more, with a focus on some frequently overlooked suggestions:
- Long before your interview, use your camera phone, iPad or webcam to record yourself responding to sample interview questions. Listen for voice clarity, and pay close attention to your body language/movement.
- Make sure the interviewer has your phone number and email address and you have theirs, in case you run into any connection problems.
- Remember to account for time zone differences and day light savings or standard time.
- Make sure your batteries (for your phone, laptop or tablet) are fully charged or stay plugged in during the interview.
- Have at least one backup plan in place in case you get cut off during the interview. For example, if you have a Skype interview scheduled, make sure you have a phone on hand if Skype stops working. Likewise, have a second phone, (perhaps a landline), available if you are scheduled for a phone interview.
- For Skype, add the interviewer’s account in advance of the interview, and give the interviewer your account name, as well. (more…)